About the Program
Harbor Beach Artist in Residence Program
Winter Artist in Residence Program
Are you looking for a change of scenery to work on your creative ventures? Maybe somewhere that reduces distraction and provides a view of natural beauty? Somewhere that can feel desolate and "edge of the world" while having amenities close by?
Business Soil has teamed up with the City of Harbor Beach, The Huron County EDC, The Harbor Beach Chamber of Commerce and Harbor Beach Kayak to provide an artist in residence program each Winter in Harbor Beach Michigan.
We are looking for artists in search of a change of scenery to concentrate on a project. The chosen artists will receive:
- 3 weeks of free lodging in a cottage on Lake Huron
- $300 stipend
- Gift cards for local restaurants & welcome basket from the Harbor Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Certificate for 2 kayak rentals for when you come back in the summer!
We do ask a couple things small things in return.
- We would like the group artists to be part of an art panel at the Historic Harbor Beach Community House Theater. We would like a quick intro on what you do, information on your process, and whatever you'd like to share with the community. We will also have an audience q&a period for direct questions or general art questions for the panel. After the discussion, there will be a small reception with food & drinks.
- We would also like to borrow some of the work you create here, or a performance of your piece, or whatever you can provide for an exhibit during the Summer season.
We are looking for artists working in textiles, paint, charcoal, writing, music, digital arts, or whatever our cottages could be used for...you'll just have to explain to us what that is and how it works.
Harbor Beach is a small lakeside city located in the upper Thumb of Michigan on Lake Huron. It's a great place to concentrate in the winter & early spring. You'll see the sun rise over Lake Huron each morning. Depending on the weather during your residency, you may see snow owls, geese, eagles, or other waterfowl. You may also see coyotes, foxes, deer or other wildlife. You may see the awesome power of a Great Lake during a winter squall. You may get to see ice fishermen on a frozen lake, or boaters taking their boat out for the first time that season.
For the 2018-2019 season we plan to have 12 slots available for artists from November-March. More details will be provided as they become available.
This artist in residency program is designed to accomplish a few goals.
- Insert the artists into a creative landscape that allows them to focus on their work
- Expose artists to our community & promote Harbor Beach
- Expose our community to artists & creatives
- Create new community events
- Promote offseason tourism
- Use otherwise unused city assets